Monday, October 1, 2012

Today is a BIG day...a VERY BIG day!

Today is a big day...a very big day for us. One week ago today at 7:47 PM our sweet Sofia Grace came into the world. Our sweet angel, our lil miracle chose us to be her parents and we were couldnt have been happier. 

All in all my labor was not too difficult.  I was lucky in that I was only in labor a total of 10 hours.  In fact when we went in for my induction last Monday we discovered that I was in the very early stages of labor so it didn't take much pitocin to kick start my labor.  At 6 PM I started pushing.  Everyone said I would probably have her out in about 45 minutes later.  An hour and a half later I was still pushing and becoming VERY frustrated.  I had prepared for this day for months, working out as long as I could, doing all my kegal exercises and more.  And still SG would not budge.  My amazing doctor, Dr. Gottesman, told me that my cocix bone was very curved and SG's head was getting stuck on it and after every push SG would essentially get sucked back in (sorry for the lack of a better description).  So he told me he wanted to use forceps, which I was not excited to use but if it meant we wouldn't have to perform a C section then I was all for it.  Long story short, with some help SG finally arrived.  Unfortunately, right after delivery I became sick and developed a fever.  I felt as thought I would faint and wasn't even able to hold my sweet baby girl.  Daddy was amazing and took care of her right after birth but sadly I never had that moment right after birth of holding her.  I had envisioned a beautiful moment with skin to skin contact, tears falling down my cheeks with daddy watching over us.  But instead I didn't get to hold her for almost two hours after birth.  Thankfully, we had arranged to have a friend of ours who is also a photographer capture Sofie's first hours here on Earth.  I will post these in another post.

Besides today being Sofie's one week birthday it is also a day to thank our great God for once again performing one of his glorious miracles. On Wednesday of last week we brought SG home.  By Thursday night I started to notice something didn't seem right with SG.  While in the hospital she was sweet and serene.  By Thursday night she had changed.  She seemed hungry every hour, wouldn't rest more than 30 minutes and just seemed cranky all the time.  Most would say, "that's a newborn," but deep down I knew something was off.  Not to mention by Friday morning SG had not had a wet diaper since 10 PM the night before.  She also hadn't had a dirty diaper since 6 PM the night before.  I decided to call my pediatrician and spoke to a nurse explaining that I thought SG was not getting enough food and seemed dehydrated.  My milk had still not come in and I wondered if Sofie was simply hungry.  I was directed by the nurse to take SG to the ER. 

Daddy and I were nervous but we thought we would go to the ER, they would give her some fluids and we would head home.  That was not the case at all.  By the time we arrived to the ER Sofie looked very jaundice.  The triage nurse worked so quickly that before we knew it SG had an IV put in and was being admitted to the NICU.  Admitting hadn't even processed her paperwork when all of this had been done.  The next days were surreal.  Our lil sweetness was taken to the level 3 (highest level) NICU.  Everything happened so quickly and is all a blur.  We were told that Sofie's bilirubin levels were extremely high and had we waited any longer her brain and organs could have been affected.  She was also dehydrated and as suspected slightly malnourished.  She had lost a pound since we brought her home.  Some weight loss is ok but we were told it was too much.  The doctors told us that they would begin fluids and phototherapy treatments.  They also wanted me to breastfeed her but I simply didn't have any milk so we had to supplement.  I felt like a failure.  My body failed me and because of it my baby was now in the NICU.  I was eating right and drinking LOTS of fluids and still nothing.  I felt like I had starved my own child.

The next parts I will tell through photos.  We haven't told a lot of you what is going on mainly because we were not sure what the outcome would be.  I was scared of telling too many people and didn't want a bunch of postings on Facebook about what was going on.  I was basically just scared and when I am scared or stressed I tent to keep to myself.

Poor SG had to wear goggles.  My heart broke seeing her hooked up to all the machines.  We weren't able to hold her because she had to remain under the lights which help the bilirubin reincorporate into the blood so that it can be eliminated through waste.  Essentially, jaundice is when bilirubin (toxic) counts are increased and are not released via waste.  Since SG wasn't eating enough she wasn't creating waste and her bilirubin increased.

This was day two...we laughed because she LOVED this position (not recommended at home) and it is how her daddy likes to sleep.  Sweet baby and her goggles.  :(
I love this picture.  Since SG was malnourished they decided to giver her a nasal feeding tube.  This made me so sad.  We would try to either breast feed or bottle feed and whatever she didn't eat they fed through her tube.
Still day two and we were able to hold her for just a tiny bit to feed her.  I love this lil face!


Day two was also game day.  Daddy remembered to wear his UT gear.  It was a good day for us.  Sofie had wet and dirty diapers, was starting to eat on her own and Texas won!  We decided SG sent the Longhorns some positive vibes.  Hook 'em!

Day 3 and SG was off phototherapy!  Her bilirubin counts had been cut in half and the best part was that we were able to hold her!  She looked like a lil gloworm!

I was so happy to finally hold my baby!  It's amazing how quickly you fall in love with them.  Not being able to hold her tore my heart apart so this was a very big deal for me.  We just sat together and I would stare at her for hours.
Mom, stop kissing me so much!
Day 3 was also a big day for Sofie.  She finally got to put some clothes on.  My midday SG decided she was over her feeding tube and took it out herself!  Typical of our daughter to be that headstrong and on her own schedule.  The doctors were ok with her removing her tube so we just left it out.  She's a happy lil nugget here.
 

Day 4 and we are going HOME!  I had convinced myself she would not go home because I didn't want to get my hopes up.  When I walked into the NICU SG was propped up in a bouncy chair.  She looked like such a big girl.  Shortly after this pic the doctors rounded and told me SG was good to go home!

A few things to note about this experience. One, I discovered how strong our marriage is. I always knew we had a good marriage but going through this made me realize what a great team we are. Husband Daddy and I are truly a team and God blessed us with each other. Two, I realized how easily we take things for granted. A simple smile, a snuggle, a hug...it all seems so natural when you first have your baby but when you can't hold your baby you realize how much you take it for granted. Three, SG has a ferocious temper. I'm not talking about regular grumpy baby temper. I'm talking about the kind that is rageful...all the nurses talked about how headstrong she is and how she tries to do things on her own (feed, hold her pacifier, etc.). I laugh because this means she has my temper...God definitely has a sense of humor. Four, as hard as it was to leave Sofie overnight, I learned how important sleep is for a momma. I lost it the first night when I had to leave her. I refused to go home but after much coaxing from Husband, the doctors and nurses I went home and literally passed out in 2.2 as soon as my head hit my pillow. I needed the sleep and had to get better. That night not only did I rest but my milk came in!
Five, God is GOOD, no he is GREAT! We are beyond blessed that we caught all of this early and that God took care of our lil angel. Our prayers were answered and now our sweet angel is home. Our dear friend Barry told us to keep our faith, God is not surprised by what is happening and he has a plan. We trusted in God and now here I sit writing this blog post with Husband Daddy holding his lil girl next to me.
I am sorry I didn't share this with everyone sooner but now that we are on the road to recovery I feel better about sharing our story. Thank you all of you for your love and support. God bless everyone!


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful story, beautiful family, beautiful baby! I love you guys so much and can't wait to meet little miss Sofia Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. What a difficult and scary time. So glad you followed your mommy instincts. God is great! Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Liz! Yes he is!

    ReplyDelete